« Home | It is raining » | The Web is Us » | You Tube's Candidate » | Christmas... is it? » | It is not perfect, but still... it is better » | Pinochet: D.R.I.P. » | What are we learning? (or teaching?) » | Learning in the 21st century » | Differences amongst international and American stu... » | Schwarzenegger, Chile & California: the power of t... » 

Friday, February 23, 2007 

I did not go to an English, nor biligual school; but I still had 14 years of English Language at school (and I got vey good grades).

I listen to The Beatles since forever -given that my father is a great fan- and I learned their lyrics having no idea what I was singing.

I am a huge fan of American sitcoms and stand up comedy. I got the first 6 season of Seinfeld and all 10 seasons of Friends on DVD (I spent some money on those), and I am capable of watching (and understanding) them -and any TV show or movie- without subtitles since I was 16.

I did 2 years of English in College (even though my major was Spanish), and I -again- got pretty good grades without any work.

I spent a whole year in upstate New York living, studying, teaching Spanish, working on my English...

Everyone might believe that my English is not bad at all.

But I still got some problems.

I heard this song in the radio a couple of months ago, and I wanted it. It is beachy ("Beach-like" I mean), happy, pop -female teenage pop, actually-, nice. But they never said who sang it on the radio. I had nothing to go looking for it.

A friend told me to google it, but I was not able to understand any word of it. Shame on me!

I had to be lucky enough to find it on the radio again three or four times again later to get just one verse: "I don't wanna be anywhere else". So, I google it, and nothing. Can you imagine how many websites there must be with that sentence in it? So, I google it in Spanish sites, so I could find its lyrics on a Spanish website or blog. Again nothing.

I try looking someplace else: You Tube, but videos are not tagged by song's lyrics, so I did not find it there neither.

Thus, I started thinking it was my English. "She must be British" I thought. (I cannot understand British Ensglish very good... I tryed to watch V for Vendetta the other day and I needed the subtitles.) So, I google just the second half of the verse I tought I had understood: "wanna be anywhere else", but I added "lyrics" so I got just lyrics dedicated websites... and I found the following: "LDN" by Lily Allen... "Sun is in the sky, oh why, oh why, would I wanna be anywhere else".

Next, I youtubed "Lily Allen", and I found the video of the song I was looking for:

How I did heard "I dont wanna be anywhere else" when it was "would I wanna be anywhere else"? It is actually very different...

Or my english is getting rusty... or it has always been that way.

"I love this Album "Alright, still". Ans my favorite song is "friday night"...
bye bye"

"Hahahaha it's funny, cause the reason why I ended up on your blog is because i was looking for the title of this song! AND I had the same problem you had; couldnt hear the lyrics well, googled them and nothing really came out... lol. I'm bilingual too and I couldn't understand it, so dont worry, you aint that bad."

"lol... I had the same problem with this song! I also heard "I don't wanna be anywhere else" and google didn't show me the right answer, but gave me a 'tips': your blog :) heheh..
To sum up... Lily Allen has some problems with pronunciation ;-)
Anyway,the most important- I found a song I was looking for:)
Thanks a lot! & greetz
Paulina"

   Post a Comment

presentation

Search

citizen's juornalism (in spanish)

  • El Morrocotudo - XV región de Arica y Parinacota, Chile | In Spanish
  • El Observatodo - IV región de Coquimbo, Chile | In Spanish
  • El Rancahuaso - VI región de O'Higgins, Chile | In Spanish
  • El aMaule - VII región del Maule, Chile | In Spanish

blog's data

  • visits so far.
  • Feed (XML).

Add to Technorati Favorites

Blogger
Firefox
Statcounter
Creative Commons

Site arranged by MZN.